Wednesday, June 16, 2004

looking for signs of buffness

I got to work early today and made a glass and ran tests by myself. I was very relaxed in the morning, I don't think I have been so relaxed in the morning before. I didn't get anymore sleep than usual, I went to bed around 1 and woke up at 7.30 pretty easily. Greg came in at 10.30..woke up after a 16 hour nap! thats quite a nap alright. We had the Wednesday lunch today which was indian cuisine. There was a lot of food and people here really like indian food because it has a lot of tasty veg options. I stuffed myself yet again. As I am writing now, I am not hungry the least bit.
         The talk along with the lunch was about Diamonds which was very interesting. Apparently a company called Apollo has a method that makes immaculate artificial diamonds upto 3.5 cts. This is amazing because it is indistingiushable from naturally occuring diamonds. It's also flawless. De Beer's is so threatened by this that one of their top executives threatened someone high up in Apollo with a bullet hole in the head. Smells like a revolution in the gem industry specially the $7 billion diamond industry. Looks like De Beers might lose big money and their shares might plummet.
         I spent most of the afternoon updating the report for the Society of Physics Students since I am the current Physics Club secretary. And then I spent the rest of the afternoon looking at grad schools which have nanotechnology research because thats been my intended field of speciality for a while. Lets see how that goes. I was looking at Vanderbilt, Duke, Brown, Purdue and Cornell so far. These are really tough colleges to get into. I have to do really well at school and the necessary examinations prior to applying. I think I am going to find literature on nanotech to read. I got back and Jessi called me telling me that she was going to Walmart and I could go and work out on my own. I ran on the inside track because it seemed like it could rain. I did 26 minutes straight and then double sets of all weights. I am tired now! I am blogging early because there is nothing on TV. I might watch one of the movies I have to kill time.
         I am taking a break from the Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. I am kinda dissapointed in myself because I finished only 66 pages in the past week. I usually gobble books in a couple of days. This book is not pleasurable reading, it's something you would do for a literature class. As the title mentions, all the text in form of verses which makes it hard to read and there is a lot of allegory and hidden meaning to every single sentence. It's just too intense for me now. I might start that up at Japan or on the flight there. But I started The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. It's hyped to be on the lines of the books by Dan Brown. It's good so far. I started that today during work and got through about 25 pages. I might just keep that for work because if I start reading now, I'll finish the book tonight.

[Listening to: Last Train Home - Lostprophets - Start Something (4:03)]

No comments: