Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Closing another marvelous chapter of my life

Here are the chronicles of the last 10 days of Joy (me ;) ) as an undergrad.. Here are pictures (flickr).

Finals week was me at my most boring self. I studied more than any other time during the school year. I was practically living in the library. There were a few people who studied with me on the last study table on the 2nd floor, most often being Angela F. I think we got to know each other better during the end of our time here. I'm glad about that. I guess the studying paid off. I made A's in Thermodynamics and Hindu Gods, A- in Modern Algebra, and B in Set Theory/Topology. Topology was the toughest and highest level course offered in my four years of math at Coe. So, I'm actually happy with that grade because I deserved it. Thermo was also my first A ever in Mario's class with a 100 on the final. Hindu Gods was a friggin' breeze, and Modern Algebra was interesting.

The week before graduation were incredible dinners. It started with the Annual Physics lavish feast at the Czech Village. We had a spectroscopy presentation by a Coe grad (Dr. Rachel Boekenhauer) doing research at Argonne National Lab. I like the fact that at this time of my academic life, I can actually understand basic and advanced talks at a higher level and can ask intelligent questions. I was very curious about the thin film analysis of Gen II superconductors. After that, physics seniors were invited by Doc for steak at his house. We finished 13 pounds of expensive T-bones within the 9 people present. I have never eaten such a big piece of red meat that was prepared so well. Doc is indeed a Pro. Finally, President Phifer had invited the Class of 2006 to the Country Club for dinner on Thursday and it was amazing! The set up was formal and it was great to see others dressed well. The food was great. Now that I think about it, I should have bought a senior picture because it may have turned out well. This was an excellent and relaxed night to be with people from our Class one last time before the craziness of Graduation decended on us.

Dad flew in on Thursday, and Robi on Friday to attend my graduation. Mum couldn't come because she had to stay for Dida's last rite. It was great having them around. Saturday, a bunch of friends and I went dancing at the Top of the Five, and had an amazing time. I really like slip and slidig on the floor. I was the only guy amongst 8 girls. I had a ton of fun dancing with Angela M and Kiki. I got a few pictures that I put up on flickr. I got to say this again. Angela is an amazingly natural dancer and she blows me away. She's only had one formal class in swing and she dances like she's been doing this for a while. Arm tension and movement is exactly what I look for. She also has a great time dancing and smiles through out. I wish I had known her before and gotten to dance with her some more..

Dad, Robi and I walked around a lot and saw quite a bit of downtown. It was nice to just hang out together. We were missing Mum. Goms ate out with us quite a bit. They got to see the campus and really liked it. Then came, D Day as in Graduation, and formal end to my life at Coe College. Graduation was practically flawless. After ringing of the Victory Bell, it was really quick after that. I had two tassles for double majoring, two sets of cords for Mortar Board and Sigma Pi Sigma (national Physics honors society), graduated with Cum Laude (GPA 3.6+) and College Scholars Program, GPA of 3.82, and along with some other miscellaneous honors for leadership and merit. The speaker Mass. Gov Mitt Romney was really good. We were happy that he didn't turn the commencement speech into a campaigning test bed. If you don't know who he is, he is Democrat-turned-Republican for the next Presidential election. A lot of people on Coe weren't too pleased about him speaking but it turned out to be a great speech, one which I didn't snooze through. I met Andi's parents later and then went out to Taj Mahal for some Indian food after taking more pictures with my friends. And so the day ended, and I hung out with Dad and Robi at the hotel again. They left the next morning, and I've been relaxing since.


And on to Graduation presents, my parents got a Swatch 2006 (Chemical Blue) from Dubai. It's an incredible good-looking watch. This is to augment my existing Casio wrist watch that I bought 4 years ago in Hyderabad with Bhavya.

Graduation quilt
Andi's parents gave me a quilt with written sentiments of my friends. She asked Komal to get them signed by my friends and then sew them together. I love it!

Goms and Himali got me a giftcard from Express. Anh got me a cute little memento, and some spending money.


Britta and Kelly bought me chocolate and The World Is Flat [Updated and Expanded] : A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century (Hardcover). I've wanted to read it for a long time, and I know it's going to be an addicting read..


Tags: Life, Pictures, Books
[Listening to: Why Worry - The All-American Rejects - The All-American Rejects (4:18)]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Joy. :) Sounds like you've had a very exciting week. Sorry again that I missed it.
-Mary